Military Service

Drawinig of side-view of 2 men and 1 woman in military unifrorm - on background of US flag depicted as fluttering in the windYou can increase your years of creditable service towards your retirement if you have served in the military
There are several stipulations to qualify for this service. Click on the military picture above to be directed to the application form. You will need to include a copy of your DD-214 with your application. If you still serve in the military and thus have no DD-214 yet, fill out the application and send it in so that it is on file and you do not miss the application deadline. The deadline for applying is 180 days from becoming a member of the Essex Regional Retirement System. You may not purchase the time until you have been honorably discharged. The maximum amount of time you may purchase is 4 years.
  • The cost of this purchase is 10% of your annual salary when you first became a member of the retirement system for every year you are purchasing. There is no interest charged.
  • The time that may be purchased must have occured before you became a member of the retirement system.
  • You must have been honorably discharged.
  • You must have served at least 90 days.
  • If your regular active duty service was for longer than 180 days, then the wartime service requirement does not apply. All of your service may be purchased.
  • If your regular active duty service was between 90 and 179 days, then you must have served at least one day during wartime. Below is a list of qualifying wartime dates:WWI, April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918
  • WWII, September 16, 1940 to December 31, 1946
  • Korea, June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955
  • Vietnam, August 5, 1964 to May 7, 1975
  • Lebanon, August 25, 1982 to present
  • Greneda, October 25, 1983 to December 15, 1983
  • Panama, December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990
  • Persian Gulf, August 2, 1990 to present
Have you been activated while employed as a member-in-service with the Essex Regional Retirement Board?
If you have served in the armed forces of the United States while a government employee contributing to a Massachusetts retirement system, you should not show any break in service with the retirement board. There are several stipulations:
  • You must return to your job after your active duty is completed.
  • You must have served honorably.
  • You should contact us upon your return to ensure that we have continued to credit your service.
Upon your return, your employer will pay the retirement board the contributions you would have made had you not been activated. To ensure that no mistakes are made, contact us with proof of service. Thank you for your service to your country.